Tuesday, October 5, 2010

6 - Katie Deutsch - Derive

As I expressed in class, I both valued and was frustrated with this exercise.

While at first I was yelling at Warren to walk faster and was anxious to get to wherever we were headed, I soon realized that this was an hour and half that I didn't need to study for my exam the next day. Once I was in this state of mind, I was able to look around and enjoy more of the scenery. I showed in class the bud from the tree, and I maintain that that was one of the highlights. It fit perfectly over my thumb and I played with it in my hand for the rest of the walk. The railroad bridge was also an unexpected surprise. And I agree with Alli that it's really interesting to see how the abandoned bridge has become a gallery for the city. Similarly, we saw artwork in fences and on the sides of buildings, trying to liven up what isn't such a hopping neighborhood.

Yet predictably, after an hour, I was anxious to head home, and didn't want to dérive home, but rather walk straight back to my dorm and continue my studying.

It's interesting for me to experience this aspect of myself. To let myself start out questioning, then give in and let it go, and then get back to my life. This is my experience thus far with figure drawing. At first I'm thinking this is so hard, why can't I do this. Then I get into my automatic drawing and go with it. But always, by 2:50 I am ready to put my pencil away because I'm frustrated that I still can't do it. This parallel is an interesting revelation. Now I'm left wondering what else this cycle affects...

No comments:

Post a Comment