Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Home in the wilderness




 I liked this one the best.  The more textured the bark was, the better the rubbing turned out.

The derive that Meghan, Paige, and I went on was relaxing and enjoyable, but also very long. There is one part that I particularly liked though: on our walk we passed a forest with twisted trees that beckoned me to go explore. The eerie darkness, crunch of leaves being stepped on, and damp smell reminded me of home instantly. I live in Michigan, and my house is situated back into the woods. The wind rustling through the trees is a noise that I fall asleep to. Spotting a deer or fox trotting through the field behind our house was an everyday experience that I miss the most about home. Since I left over a month ago, I have had only random trees on sidewalks and open greens to fill my wilderness cravings. Being able to walk beside numerous trees once again felt really good and therefore that is why I did tree rubbings. It is something that I used to do when I was little when my school would go visit the nature center close to my town. Doing the rubbings brought me back to memories of my childhood and completing only four and not filling my whole sketchbook was a struggle.  I definitely intend to derive again in the near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment