Thursday, October 7, 2010

Warren J. -- 6 -- Derive

Daniella already posted some of the pictures that we took on our walk. The derive, for me, was an opportunity to enjoy the fall weather, which I had only observed between classes and through glass windows -- the red and orange leaves, the bare limbs of trees, and the crackling brown foliage underfoot. As we walked east of campus, I found myself more drawn to the nature I found peeking out through the sidewalk and overflowing over walls -- the trees, the weeds, the bushes and branches poking through people's fences. And I felt that the Gano St. Bridge, what turned out to be our ultimate destination, was the epitome of all of this. Through a narrow dirt path, emerging onto the river, it was a massive iron and steel construction, thoroughly claimed by rust. I felt it was a pathway out of our modern industrialized lives to the natural world, which is always just out of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment