Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Daniella - Material Alchemy: Costume & Sculpture

I spent quite some time working on this costume, which is based on the seahorse pokémon, Horsea. I got all of the materials from the recycling center for $1.20! Everything was made from sheets of fabric, string, a band of leather, paper, soft stuffing stuff, cardboard, and hot glue. It was great to work on something that involved clothing design, since I ended up with a wrap dress, and a jacket that I don't even know how I made. Below is the fin, tail, and head-appendages:





After Halloween, I decided to try making a sculpture out of steel galvanized wire. I had a lot of leftover soft fluff from the costume that I was originally thinking of using and thought of making a sculpture of a something that isn't supposed to be soft-- I came up with a rhinoceros. As I started making it, I came to appreciate all the details of the wire bending and everything, so I abandoned the idea of adding extra materials. Here he is:

No comments:

Post a Comment