Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Warren Jin - Portraits and Projects

This is my self portrait. I drew it using a mirror and my very own face as reference. I think it exemplifies how I've been feeling lately, namely exhausted and unbalanced. (I actually rather like the asymmetry -- it makes me look confused). I am particularly proud of the ears -- those are some damn fine ears.

 On the side of the portrait (2nd picture down), I also drew some quick caricatures of myself. I am actually particularly interested in how caricature artists can capture the essential features of a person with just a cartoon, so I've been playing around with that in my sketchbook as well.

Last of all, I attached a 'practice' self portrait I drew in my sketchbook. Sadly, I don't really think it looks all that much like me, although that may be because I was drawing from a weird picture as reference and I got lazy with the hair.


I've got big plans for the final project. Well, maybe not that big. I plan on combining the color and light assignment with the final project.

Since I really enjoy drawing myself (so narcissistic of me), I'm looking to get a set of pastels from Utrecht to do more self portraits, experimenting with the different effects I can achieve using the techniques we discussed in class. I think I may also branch out to other subjects, but I will likely stick to portraying human and animal forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment