Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Katharine Mead - Self Portrait, Final Project, and Material Alchemy

For my self portrait, I wanted to keep working with paper and do something 3D.  I like making mobiles, and it was a good challenge to make a face balance.  I also used watercolors, which was a nice change of pace.



For my final project, I'd like to combine the color and light assignment by working with light and shadow in a kind of box diorama, creating an intricate contained world with layers of paper cutouts that you experience through a small hole in the box.  I'm interested in playing with ideas of scale, viewpoint, and light (of course).  We'll see how it goes!



And finally, I realized that my blog post for material alchemy didn't end up posted, so here's what I ended up with for that project!  The entire thing is made of old envelopes (the security patterns are so different and interesting!).  It's also interesting how putting the cutouts on a black or white background changes the feel of the piece.  Almost like day and night in the city? 




1 comment: