Sunday, November 21, 2010

Final Project - Sophia

This isn't set in stone (because I feel that it may be a bit ambitious and time consuming...) but the plan is to combine different elements of what we learned from material alchemy, drawing and stop motion (not stop motion exactly, but stop motion in  that there's a sense of time and narrative and my piece will literally be telling a story).

I got inspired by Arthur Gansen, and although I may not make a mechanism like his (because I feel like that would require much more time and resources than I'll have in the remainder of this semester, unfortunately), I want to make a conveyor belt-ish system made from cardboard, wires, and water bottles. Around the conveyer belt will be a long paper belt (sort of in the style of/decorated like a large film strip) and you will be able to manually move the conveyor belt with a handle. On the paper will be a series of 3" x 5" frames, comic book-style (drawn completely in monochromatic pen), and it will tell the narrative of my first semester at Brown, in ten frames. It will be illustration and brief dialogue/narration written in the frames (think "Archie and Jughead"). I'm debating whether I want to add a lamp into the mix or not to shed light on the frame of interest while the viewer is moving the handle. I'm also debating whether or not I want to use aluminum foil somehow and cutting a 3"x 5" rectangle in the aluminum so you are only able to view one frame at a time rather than all of them being visible (this part may not be clear...maybe I can explain this better in person). I want my piece to be a self-portrait in a sense, in that I want it to be interactive/want people to partake and contribute to my experiences. And I also want to tell a personal story utilizing the different mediums we've explored this semester. I think it'll be pretty versatile and fun (hopefully) for both myself and the viewer/participator.

P.S. I will be combining my self-portrait with the color and line project, and it is incorporating paint.

--sophi diaz

No comments:

Post a Comment