Monday, November 22, 2010

Austin - Self Portrait + 2 Older Portraits

Okay I'll try this again:

So here is my self portrait, I decided to just go with a classical take and draw myself with charcoals. I wanted to keep exploring the dramatic style of baroque painting, such as with Rembrandt, because these sorts of paintings are among my favorite. I wanted to try to elicit the same effect with charcoal.

I had originally planned to make the drawing larger, and to develop the background and incorporate some objects and themes into it, do some interesting things with the composition, objects and underlying concept. However, due to lack of time (only starting it this weekend), I had to shrink down the drawing a little bit and go with a simple background, cutting off the surrounding paper.

Also attached, just for fun, are two older portraits I did in high school. The first one is in charcoal, the second one is in oil pastel.















1 comment: