Monday, September 27, 2010

"Translation, Imitation, Emulation": DaVinci's Females Remake-----Claudine

I chose to reproduce Leonardo DaVinci's portraits of women. Firstly, because I am obsessed with him and his style. In my opinion, there is no other artist's line quality that can compare to that of DaVinci. And in order to be a good artist, one must practice by imitating the best first before creating your own style. Secondly, when I was skimming through a book about him, the commentator wrote about how it was interesting how "Leonardo had little interest in exploring a range of ideals of female beauty comparable to the male types that he developed". Most of his women's face are in three quarter view (mostly eyes cast down) for religious purposes to depict modesty or as he puts it "modestia". This made me slightly upset because I am a woman (somewhat of a feminist) and DaVinci is my favorite artist who ironically stereotypes women into one "look". So I decided to alter that vision by reproducing his work as is and then making the women modern and more interesting.

Here are images of his work: (sorry they are not rotated---I am new at using a Mac so I am not sure how to do it :/)
 










Here is an image of my reproduction of those drawings:


And then here is the reproduction with the "modern" additions. I am not entirely sure I am happy with the end product but here it is for now:

No comments:

Post a Comment